Thursday, April 07, 2011

Courtesy Of Shakey Giambino:

Soriano says he’s sorry



Rafael Soriano was so upset after blowing what seemed like a sure win for CC Sabathia on Tuesday that he stormed out of the clubhouse and went home, the Yankees reliever said on Wednesday afternoon.


“I don’t know what happened,” said Soriano, who walked three batters and was charged with four runs in New York’s 5-4 loss to the Twins. “I threw a couple of pitches and I feel like I don’t have balance. I don’t think that’s happened before – that’s the first time.”


Soriano said that his agent, Scott Boras, called him on Wednesday and reminded him that he needs to be accountable for his actions and make himself available to the media after games. Instead, his teammates – particularly catcher Russell Martin – were left to answer for Soriano’s performance.


“The reason I didn’t do it, I got mad because I think that’s a game CC is supposed to win,” Soriano said. “It didn’t happen and that’s why I got mad. I don’t feel comfortable to talk.”


It wasn’t just the media that kept Soriano silent. He said he also screened a couple of calls from his mom, who watched the game on television from the Dominican Republic, but finally called her back on Wednesday.


“My mom, she called me and I didn’t answer my phone,” Soriano said. “I don’t feel comfortable to talk to her. I feel like that. I said, ‘All right, let me go home and be relaxed and ready for today.’”


Soriano said that while he is fine with his role setting up for closer Mariano Rivera, he sometimes struggles when coming into games with a larger lead. The Yankees led 4-0 when Soriano took the ball for the eighth.




“To me, it’s different when I’m in that situation like that,” Soriano said. “I don’t know why. It’s usually a lot closer. When it’s a situation like that, sometimes the [opposing] team gets a couple runs. I don’t know why it happens like that. The last three years, that’s what happens. I tried to do the best I can last night, but nothing happens.”


Joe Girardi said that there is no issue in the clubhouse with Soriano, who also stopped by the manager’s office today to apologize.


“He understands that he has a responsibility to the media, and he knows that,” Girardi said. “There are days after games where you just don’t feel like talking. It can be difficult and you feel like you’re not going to say the right things in a situation like that, and you step away. But he understands that he has a responsibility. I think he knows what he’s supposed to do.


“It happens. Players sometimes need to blow off a little steam. He was upset that CC didn’t get the win. And we didn’t get the win. We move on.”


Read more: http://btbfansite.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=19823#ixzz1IqXaYjdH

No comments: