Friday, July 23, 2010

THE MAC ATTACK: ANGELS IN THE MOUTH FIELD







By Joan McLoughlin

If silence is golden, what does that mean to sound? Some sounds can be golden, too. Like the voice of our beloved and departed Bob Sheppard. Or the crack of the bat when the ball is going deep…when it is high…when it is far…when it is gone. But then there are the sounds that are punishing. Like the sounds of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim broadcasters that I was subjected to this past week for the Yankees 2 games series in the Bronx. Now don’t get me wrong, living out of one’s team’s local market can be fun. There is something to be said for attending the game in the away grays and taking smack from the home team fans. As a Yankee fan, you know we’re going to get it. And of course, the banter between rival fans can bring as much joy and entertainment as that of a walk off win.

So that being said, why am I on a rant against the Angels’ broadcasters? I don’t expect them to root for the Yankees. I don’t expect them to be unbiased. But I do expect professionalism and some evidence of intelligent life form.

Wednesday’s day game while in the car, game on the radio, I’m thankful I didn’t get in an accident…because they were driving me crazy. I truly couldn’t believe what I was hearing, including remarks that the New York fans are not as into the game anymore in the new stadium. EXCUSE ME? OK, maybe I didn’t hear right. Oh, no, they repeated the sediment. Conversation continued to explain how the New York fans also get defensive if you state a homerun ball may not be a homerun in other stadiums. To quote, “318 in left, 314 in right. Come on!” Surprise, did anyone compare the dimensions of the park to the House That Ruth Built in 1923? And was this really the talk of two unbiased broadcasters on a major league broadcast? Or was it Jimmy and Eddie, 7th graders arguing ‘my team is better than your team’?

I involuntary shut the radio off a couple of times to ease myself of the torture but then it was killing me not knowing what was going on. Needless to say, I kept turning it back on. A couple of times upon returning to the car in between errands, I thought the Angels had scored the go ahead run listening to Heckle and Jeckle….Note to self. Please have husband figure out the XM radio attachment for car.

Later that evening, I sat down to enjoy game on TV. Heck with the American Express Card, I never leave home without setting the DVR to record the game. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, the TV announcers start in! After Derek Jeter hits an infield single knocked down by Erick Aybar, the brainiac TV broadcasters surmise that Jeter will definitely pass Pete Rose’s all time hits record with calls like that. After Gardner’s late inning ejection, the comment was ‘Well, Gardner’s been arguing the whole game’. Really? Were we watching the same game? I know I’m nick picking but this goes on the whole game and being I live in the Angels local market, my MLB Extra Innings broadcasts are blacked out…but I do love my mute button.

I’d venture to bet that every mother has preached ‘if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all’. While I don’t believe this applies here, I do believe if you don’t have anything intelligent to say, don’t say anything at all. And unless your broadcasting contract is word based on the number of words spoken, spare us a few please. After all, silence can truly be golden.

…Names have been left out to protect the idiots…



No comments: